build bridges community ventura, grow food locally ventura, local food ventura, stop fracking ventura, vc climate hub events jan 2015, ventura 250 events, ventura citizens group, ventura county climate hub meeting jan 2015, ventura occupy, ventura promote transition from fossil fuels to renewables
Thursday, January 8th, 2014 at 7 p.m.
Everyone 10 years of age and older who wants to lead, work together or support goals to promote transition from fossil fuels to renewables, grow food locally, and build capacity/relationships/bridges for broad-based community pursuit of such goals.
Invite your friends!
FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE
[To get on Ventura350 email list to receive news & meeting memo re:
VC Climate Hub, email to firstname.lastname@example.org]
Three Currently Active Working Groups:
Crude by Rail Protest Letters
Where Unitarian-Universalist Church of Ventura, 5654 Ralston Street, Ventura, CA 93003.
Why To pool resources and seize opportunities for action and exercise political will in Ventura County to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and transition from fossil fuels to a renewable energy.
Below are the draft agenda outlines for each Working Group. Agendas with Pre-Meeting Memos will be sent on January 2 to allow you a week to read ahead of the meeting.
If you are interested in forming a new Working Group or have input to a current Working Group, let us know. We’re trying to have as much information as possible in the Pre-Meeting Memo. That way the discussion at the Climate Hub meeting will be among participants who are informed in advance about the topics. Our goal is the best meetings ever for action-oriented people working together to reverse climate change.
RSVP, Comment, & Arrange Carpooling Facebook Event Page
—January Meeting Agenda—
Reports Back 16 mins
• CFROG Campaign Victory at Modelo Canyon; next project
• Oxnard City Council protests Edison’s plan for new power plant — Tomas
• Citizen Climate Lobby: Meet VCCF, Camarillo, Mon 1/12. Guest conf call speaker: Climate Change Advisor for Shell Oil. Thank Rep Brownley for supporting Oxnard against Edison – Jan
• Exploring Community Choice Aggregation & Related Programs for Oxnard – Jan
• Citizen Science training with Earthworks Action delayed til Feb
• Moorpark wrote to SLO Co Planning opposing rail spur–need letters from Ventura, Oxnard and Camarillo – Ron
• CA Against Fracking Tour Stop Downtown Oxnard Wed January 14: Save the Date
VC Climate Hub Immediate General Needs – 4 min
• Four people for logistics for meetings: mainly set up and clean up
• Phoning folks on the list to encourage participation.
• Media Coordinator for the Steering Committee
• Media Coordinator for the Steering Committee
Working Groups and Draft Content for Agendas 45 mins
– Two Big Events Being Planned by the Anti-Fracking Working Group:
1. California Crossroads Tour: Taking Back Ventura County on January 14 at Oxnard Cultural Heritage Center. Doors open at 6:30. $10 donation requested, no one turned away. We hope it will get us pumped to sign up for…
2. March for REAL Climate Leadership on February 7, Oakland
Now it’s our turn to turn up the pressure on Gov Jerry Brown! The March for Real Climate Leadership is Saturday, Feb 7 is aiming for 10,000 marchers. Hop on the charter bus in Camarillo (4:45 am), Ventura (5 am), or Santa Barbara (5:30 am) and return by midnight!
Buy your $30 ticket HERE.
On January 8 we’ll discuss how to bring out as many people as possible for both events.
– Crude by Rail Protest was taken up by the Citizen Science Working Group. If you can help before or after January 8, it is urgent to talk to first responders in Camarillo, Oxnard and Ventura who will ask their City Councils to vote to send a protest letter. Call Ron Whitehurst for more info how to help now: 805-746-5365
– Renewables Working Group Fact-Finding: Contact Jan Dietrick if you are interested to help do fact-finding for any of the following ideas for projects/programs/campaigns that were brought up during or since the last Renewables Working Group meeting.
• Explore taking control of our power from Edison by forming a scalable Community Choice Aggregation.
• Help or partner with another org to increase participation in energy efficiency improvement programs, like emPower.
• Investigate campaign or partnering to get Superchargers for plug-in EV’s in Ventura County at commercial sites and more chargers at apartment complexes.
• Investigate renewable fuels project, such as methane digester.
Recap & Wrap up 15 mins
Do you have information for a current working group?
Do you want to facilitate a new working group?
Email to VCClimate@gmail.com or contact the facilitators of the current Working Groups to ask questions, share your knowledge and be involved.